Search This Blog

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Food: Margherita with Grilled Chicken Paninis

I love panini sandwiches and I always knew they were easy to make. But, I never tried to make them at home because I thought I needed a panini grill, and another expensive kitchen gadget just wasn't in my budget nor did I have the storage space.

Initially, I tried to use my cast iron griddle to make panini sandwiches by flipping them over and searing both sides, but my paninis always fell apart. Then I saw Mario Batali's Grill Press and it seemed like the solution I was looking for. It was inexpensive, $20 rather than the $200 I'd have to spend for a panini grill, it was small and easy to store, and could be used with the cast iron griddle that I already own.

Mario Batali's Red Grill Press and Cast Iron Griddle

I made Margherita with Grilled Chicken Panini Sandwiches last night and they turned out beautifully. It's super easy, quick, healthy and delicious!

Margherita with Grilled Chicken Paninis

(Makes 2 sandwiches)
Ingredients:
  • 2 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
  • 4 slices of thick bread
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 6 large fresh basil leaves
  • 1 large tomato (6 tomato slices)
  • olive oil for seasoning
Directions:
  1. Preheat the cast iron griddle pan and the grill press over medium heat.
  2. Season both sides of the chicken breast with salt, pepper and olive oil. 
  3. When the griddle is hot, sear both sides of the chicken breast until cooked all the way through (about 5 minutes on each side). 
  4. Let the cooked chicken breast rest for about 5 minutes and then cut into diagonal slices. 
  5. Place 1 slice of mozzarella cheese atop 1 bread slice, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with 3 basil leaves, and 3 tomato slices. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper and top with 2 slices of chicken breast, and then top with the second bread slice. Brush both sides of the sandwich with olive oil. 
  6. Grill the sandwich until the bread is golden brown and the cheese melts, pressing down with the grill press, about 4 minutes. Transfer the sandwich to a plate and serve. 
  7. Enjoy!
Margherita with Grilled Chicken Panini





No comments:

Post a Comment